Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Postcard from Henry


*This is a story that started, for me, several years ago when I bought this postcard. I'd like to share how it's unfolded up to today ... This is how it begins.



"I have a suitcase full of these cards," the dealer said.



I bought it from an antiques dealer. It was a barely faded postcard, addressed from a man named Henry to Herbert Hirsh. 

It had been sent on May 8, 1943 from Westerbork, a transit camp for Jews and others during World War II. Anne Frank and her family went through Westerbork on their way to Auschwitz. 

All told, 107,000 people left Westerbork on trains destined for Auschwitz-Birkenau, Sobibór, Bergen-Belsen and Theresienstadt

5,200 of them survived.


“Many thanks for the money you sent.” ~ Henry Werth

I’ve contacted Westerbork for information on Henry, to see what happened to him … and, perhaps, discover who he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment